It's a celebration of colours

Happy Holi! Friendly strangers greeted me and wiped some colours on my cheeks as I walked in to the gates of the Shree Lakshmi Narayan Mandir temple at Jalan Ipoh yesterday.
Holi is the most colourful and vibrant festival and is a spring festival in India or simply known as festival of colours. 

In India, Holi announces the arrival of spring and the passing of winter.

The highlights of this festival is bright coloured powder known as "gulal" are thrown on people's faces and followed by splashing of water. It is a celebration of triumph of good over bad. This colourful festival falls on Phalguna Purnima (Full Moon) which is usually in Febuary/March.

Here are some of my photos taken from the merry festival. It's my first time attending this and you will be surprised that many expats also join in the fun! And even my expat friends can tell me so much about this festival.








 It was a huge turn out and a great success at the event.This event even made it to the Malaysian Book of Records for the largest Holi Festival at 6000 pax. Wooohooooo!







 Hmmm...this makes an interesting hair dye (just kidding)


 In high spirits






 It was certainly raining colours and everyone was coloured bombed at the scene. No one escapes! Hahahaha! Look at me all drenched in colours! After this I had to throw away my shirt. No point washing it. My very first experience of the Holi Festival was indeed very memorable. I did some reading beforehand on some FAQ and what to expect. We were asked to bring minimal items and waterproof our phones or our valuables because you'll never know if you end up wet from top to toe. It is best to bring spare towels and clothes to change after the event. Good job organizers!
Follow https://www.facebook.com/holifm/
or
View more fun photos of participants with the following hashtags on instagram
#sdsholi
#sdsholi2016
#straightouttasdsholi


Comments

Popular Posts